Wabash 553, 1959
Builder: Wabash Railroad Decatur Shops (using General Steel Castings one-piece cast steel body and frame)
Type: 53′ general-service flat.
Original Use: Equipped to haul automobile frames



Build and Early Service
The Wabash Railroad—famous for its “Follow the Flag” slogan—operated a 2,500-mile system linking Chicago, St. Louis, Toledo, Detroit, Kansas City, and points across the Midwest.
In 1959, the Wabash Railroad assembled car 553 as part of the 450-599 series in its own Decatur, Illinois car shops using a rugged one-piece cast steel body and underframe casting supplied by General Steel Castings (GSC). This advanced post-WWII design delivered exceptional strength, rigidity, and reduced maintenance compared with conventional riveted or fabricated frames. Cars in series 450-579 were equipped with racks to carry automobile frames.
The cars featured a full wood deck for load distribution and easy field repairs, integral stake pockets, multiple load tie-down appliances, and spring-cushion draft gear. Typical assignments on Wabash routes included:
- Chicago–Decatur–St. Louis main line
- Toledo–Detroit and Toledo–East St. Louis runs
- Detroit–Kansas City and Buffalo–Toledo–Chicago connections
- Branches serving factories, steel mills, lumber yards, and distribution centers
Service Life and Retirement
Wabash 553 provided reliable general-service duty through the 1960s and 1970s. Following the 1964 merger into the Norfolk & Western, many of the GSC flats (including ex-Wabash cars) received N&W black repaint with stacked lettering and continued in heavy general freight. The robust cast-steel frame allowed long life; some sisters remained active into the early Norfolk Southern era or were reassigned to maintenance-of-way or work-train duties.
In later years, 553 was used to move heavy diesel locomotive prime movers and other oversized shop loads to and from the Decatur locomotive shops. Eventually retired from revenue service, the car was sold to the proposed Ft. Jennings & Delphos Railroad. When those plans did not materialize, it was stored at the Toledo, Lake Erie & Western Railway and Museum site until formally donated by the individual who controlled it for the short line.
Preservation and Current Ownership
Wabash 553 is a prized artifact in the Toledo, Lake Erie & Western Railway and Museum (TLE&W) outdoor collection in Grand Rapids, Ohio. Volunteers are actively restoring the car, with major recent work focused on a full redecking using new timber to match the original wood-deck. The car remains on static display and serves as a tangible reminder of the railroad’s innovation in freight during the 1950s and self-sufficiency in building specialized equipment at the Decatur Shops.
Specifications
| Attribute | Details |
|---|---|
| Builder | Wabash Railroad Decatur Shops (General Steel Castings one-piece cast steel body & frame) |
| Built | July 1959 |
| Type | Equipped with racks to carry automobile frames |
| Length | 53 feet |
| Capacity | 50 tons |
| Construction | One-piece GSC cast steel body/frame; wood deck; integral stake pockets; load tie-down appliances; spring-cushion draft gear |
| Reporting Mark / Number | WAB 553 (original); later N&W markings on some sisters |
| Original Operator | Wabash Railroad |
| Service History | Automobile frame service 1959–1964 (Wabash); continued under N&W/NS into later decades; heavy shop moves in final revenue years |
| Features | Heavy-duty cast frame, wood deck |
| Acquisition | Donated to TLE&W after storage on museum grounds |
| Status | On outdoor static display; active volunteer restoration (full wood deck renewal in progress) |
| Paint Scheme | Original Wabash “Brown No. 10” with white lettering (1955–56 scheme) |
Collection Details
Preserved in the Toledo, Lake Erie & Western Railway and Museum outdoor collection
Accession: 2011.1.1 | Acquired: 2011 | Status: On Display